Fire evacuation drills
Once the fire emergency plan has been developed and training given, you will need to evaluate its effectiveness. The best way to do this is to perform a fire drill. This should be carried out at least six-monthly or as determined by your fire risk assessment. If you have a high staff turnover, you may need to carry them out more often.
A well-planned and executed fire drill will confirm understanding of the training and provide helpful information for future training. The responsible person should determine the possible objectives of the drill such as to:
- identify any weaknesses in the evacuation strategy;
- test the procedure following any recent alteration or changes to working practices;
- familiarise new members of staff with procedures; and
- test the arrangements for disabled people.
Keep clear in mind that the fire evacuation is necessary when all preventative and protective measures have failed - a fire that is life and business threatening has started in your premises!
HELP: Contact Force Fire Consultants on 0800 1692 490. We have the ex fire officers who are competent having trained as operational fire fighters and as fire safety officers in a fire authority, many in the London Fire Brigade.
We can give you the help that you need at less cost than you will spend in time trying to understand what you have to do for compliance. Talk to us with no obligation and no hard sales tactics from us.
- Single point of contact for Fire Safety Management with dedicated Fire Consultant
- With your necessary input we will ensure your compliance with Fire Law
- We will recommend and discuss beneficial improvements that will assist managing fire safety.
- When you get to know Force Fire Consultants and our expertise you will be able to relax knowing that you have extremely competent persons assisting you from design of a new building, or extension of existing building, through to Fire Safety Management when the building is occupied.
- You need no longer be worried when a Fire Enforcement Officer notifies you that he/she wishes to inspect your building. We will attend and meet the Enforcement Officer for you.
- Our involvement will make it highly unlikely that the Enforcement Authority (the fire and rescue authority) will consider a Prosecution
- Our Consultants will work with you to give guidance on the fire evacuation procedure including the selection of a suitable evacuation assembly area
- We will organise fire evacuation drills to be undertaken at six monthly intervals , or more frequent if necessary
- Prior to each fire evacuation drill our attending consultant can brief fire marshals and other controllers; after the exercise is complete our consultant will debrief all fire marshals and controllers
- A fire evacuation drill report will be prepared for record purposes and the Fire Safety Manual